Foreign

Two Dead as Police Clash with Protesters over World Cup Spending in Morocco

RABAT, MOROCCO — At least two people have been killed after police reportedly opened fire to prevent protesters from storming a police station in the town of Lqliaa, near the coastal city of Agadir.

The deaths are the first to be reported since huge, youth-led protests erupted across Morocco over the weekend. The demonstrations are fuelled by anger over the government’s decision to prioritise the construction of football stadiums for the 2030 Fifa World Cup bid over improving public services and tackling a severe economic crisis.

The popular chant among the young protesters, often referred to as Gen Z, has been: “Stadiums are here, but where are the hospitals?”

Deadly Clash in Lqliaa

The confrontation that led to the deaths took place on Wednesday evening as police attempted to repel an “attack” on the police station in Lqliaa, state media reported. Police said they were forced to open fire “in legitimate self-defence”.

The protests, which have been organised primarily through social media by groups like GenZ 212, have largely taken place at night. The organisers of GenZ 212—named after Morocco’s international dialling code—have distanced themselves from the violence.

Economic and Social Grievances

The widespread unrest across major cities, including the capital Rabat, commercial hub Casablanca, and tourist centre Marrakesh, reflects deep-seated frustration with Morocco’s economic situation. Official statistics cited by Reuters news agency place the national unemployment rate at 12.8%, soaring to 35.8% among young people and 19% among graduates.

One demonstrator, speaking to BBC Newsday on condition of anonymity, described the state of public services, saying the hospital in his city of Oujda was like a “jail.” He alleged that it was dirty, and patients often had to bribe security officers and nurses just to see a doctor.

Official Response

The Interior Ministry spokesman, Rachid El Khalfi, said a total of 409 people have been detained across Morocco following the unrest.

He stated that over 260 police officers and 20 protesters have been injured, while 40 police vehicles and 20 private cars were set on fire.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry had affirmed that the right to protest “within the law would be upheld.” Morocco’s governing coalition released a statement praising what it called “the balanced reaction of security authorities” and expressed willingness to engage in dialogue with the youth “within institutions.”

The uprising follows similar youth-led, large-scale demonstrations seen in countries like Nepal and Madagascar this summer.

About the author

Africa

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment