Not all victims of Tuesday’s deadly bus crash in Venice have been identified nearly 24 hours on, a prosecutor says.
DNA samples might be used to confirm the identities of some of the 21 killed who were not carrying personal documents, said Bruno Cherchi.
The electric bus crashed through a barrier on Tuesday evening and plunged almost 15m (50ft) in Mestre, which is connected to Venice by a bridge.
Three children including a baby were among the dead, according to officials.
The bus was carrying 39 tourists from the centre of Venice to a campsite.
Mayor Luigi Brugnaro said a “huge tragedy” had taken place. “An apocalyptic scene, there are no words,” he said on social media.
CCTV footage showed the vehicle driving past another bus before toppling off the carriageway.
One rescuer spoke of a “tragedy of young people, if not very young people, except for a few adults”.
Fifteen people are known to have been injured, five of them seriously. Venice officials said they included Ukrainians, Austrians, Spaniards and other foreign tourists.
Among the injured were two 16-year-olds and two younger children, the local governor said.
Two German brothers, aged seven and 13, were being treated for broken bones in hospital in nearby Treviso. Their parents were killed in the accident and the boys were being given counselling.
Venice prosecutor Bruno Cherchi said only three or four survivors had so far been able to talk to investigators by Wednesday afternoon.
The bus crashed at around 19:45 (17:45 GMT) on Tuesday. It had apparently been rented by a local company to pick up tourists from the historic centre of Venice and take them to a campsite in the nearby Marghera district, on the mainland.
Witnesses saw the bus scraping along the guard-rail on the flyover for 50m, before tumbling to the ground, the prosecutor added.