The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Nigeria, Nyesom Wike, has sacked the heads of 21 parastatals, agencies, and government companies of the FCT Administration with immediate effect.
The minister’s spokesperson, Anthony Ogunleye, announced the sackings in a press statement on Wednesday.
The affected heads of agencies are:
- Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Abuja Investment Company Ltd
- CEO/Managing Director (MD), Abuja Markets Management Ltd
- MD/CEO, Abuja Urban Mass Transport Company
- CEO/MD, Abuja Property Development Company
- CEO/MD, Abuja Technology Village Free Trade Zone Company
- CEO/MD, Abuja Film Village International
- CEO/MD, Powernoth AICL Equipment Leasing Company Ltd
- MD, Abuja Broadcasting Corporation
- MD, Abuja Enterprise Agency
- General Manager, FCT Water Board
- Director-General (DG), FCT Emergency Management Agency
- Executive Secretary, FCT Primary Healthcare Board
No reason was given for the sackings.
The FCT is the administrative capital of Nigeria and is home to the country’s government. The sacked heads of agencies were responsible for a wide range of services, including public transportation, housing, and healthcare.
The sackings may have come as a surprise to many, as there had been no indication that the minister was unhappy with the performance of the agencies.